Sunday, September 7, 2014

Guess What I am doing?

This was a first for me it includes hot water, rubber gloves, pails and some salt.

I dyed sheets.  The directions was to use 1 bottle of dye to a pound of fabric, I only had 1/2 pound of fabric and I used 1/2 bottle.  I should have used the whole bottle.

The process was better then I thought, I did not put the sheets in my washing machine.  I  dryed the sheets outside - I was concerned that the dye would leave residue of blue on my deck, but the water was clear.  You have to rinse at least 3 times; the sheets from being outside just smelled wonderful.  Our church is fortunate that we receive lots of white sheets and these quilt go to Lutheran World Relief and they are put on the ground; the white would get dirty so the dye of the sheets helps.  The Rit dye is not expensive so it is well worth it. 

I love it when plaid fabric get donated - we have reached 100 quilts this year.

Have a great day, and I am still in the summer mode, it is 51 degrees out side.

Gisela - Omaha, Nebraska