Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Asparagus and Lily of the Valley

My neighbor has been growing asparagus and I have been buying them locally, cooking and freezing.  My favorite are white asparagus - my father would order them from the farmer in Germany and it was so exciting when we got to pick them up.  The restaurants would have shields outside their door marketing the white asparagus menu for that day.  I have tried the jar but nothing like fresh.

This is her second year (ignore the date on photo) and she has picked quite a few.

Made some with hollandaise sauce.

This is what is growing in my garden.

Lily of the Valley have such a short growing season.  The smell is wonderful, I wanted them for my wedding bouquet in July 40 years ago and the florist told me I would have to pay big bucks so I could not afford them.
The vase is Noritake and the flowers are from an ornamental cabbage plant from last year (ignore the date on photo). 

Enjoy the day it is going to be warm 88 - 90 degress here in Omaha, NE.

What is growing in your garden?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you